New year, new you! This year, you don’t need a gym membership to stay fit: beach workouts are only a Lyft ride away.
Here in Los Angeles, we’re lucky to benefit from year-round good weather, so why not take your workout outdoors? Whether you're headed to the Santa Monica, Venice, or Manhattan Beach, the sand and fresh air is your gym. We are home to the Original Muscle Beach, after all.
Your Beach Workout
Swimming, surfing, running, circuit training and more are all great ways to work up a sweat while soaking up that California sunshine. Not sure what to do for your beach workout? Our friends at Tough Mudder recommend this routine:
- Get started: Do three rounds of five pushups, 10 mountain climbers, and 100 high skips to get your heart rate up.
- Surf: Practice your surf stance with some burpees before you get out on the water. Do two sets of 25 reps, rotating your hips both ways to get your legs and core engaged.
- Sprint: As if running in sand wasn’t hard enough! Time for sprints: Mark off two points on the beach 50 feet apart, and set a clock for :45 seconds. See how many times you can run in between those points, and then rest for one minute. Repeat this four times.
- Swim: Get in the water for some active recovery. Whether it’s between rounds of working out or an active rest day, ocean swimming helps you develop better mental focus and helps build upper body strength.
- Sun: Soak up some sunshine. Vitamin D helps build your immune system and keeps your heart and bones strong. Remember SPF!
Lyft x MudderBeach
Want something more? Upgrade your beach workout alongside Tough Mudder this week. Join them on January 12th at Muscle Beach in Venice for a special event filled with 2017 new obstacles, new training workouts and special appearances by the official Tough Mudder Training crew.
Leave your car at home and take a Lyft ride there! Use code MUDDERBEACH to receive 20% off your rides to and from the event.
Follow @Lyft_LA for the latest news on LA happenings.