From saving up for that dream vacation to just connecting with your city, the reasons you choose to drive and ride with Lyft are as unique as you are. We’re celebrating drivers and passengers from the Lyft community by sharing their reasons for choosing Lyft. Head to WhyILyft.com to see more stories, and to share your own.
Between studying biochemistry, working as a lifeguard, and driving with Lyft, Austin resident Cody doesn’t have much time for going out. Luckily, he uses Lyft to stay in-the-know on the hottest new spots around the city. “When I have a passenger in the car, I get to learn about new places or hear about what locals love to do here,” says Cody. “I’ve heard about a lot of new bars and restaurants and often end up checking them out myself!”
For this self-described extrovert, connecting with the community is the best part of driving. “I love meeting new people and hearing their stories,” he says. “That X factor is the human factor.”
Austinites, Cody says, are known for offering advice and assistance. We took him up on his Southern hospitality to find out his can’t-miss spots this summer.
- Get Micklethwait barbecue. While critics rave about places like Franklin and La Barbecue, the best Texas barbecue is at Micklethwait Craft Meats. Micklethwait does everything right: the barbecue melts in your mouth, the lines are never very long, and the sides complement the meal perfectly. Come hungry and leave stuffed!
- Enjoy the lakes. Austin is home to three lakes on the Colorado River: Lake Travis, Lake Austin, and Lady Bird Lake. Rent a kayak, stand-up paddle board, or go in on a boat with some good friends and spend the day on the water.
- Get the scoop. Head to Amy’s, Austin’s most iconic ice cream shop. But don’t forget about Dolce Neve: it’s a tiny gelato shop that never disappoints.
- Jump into Barton Springs. This ice-cold watering hole can provide relief from the Texas heat even on the warmest of days. There’s also a shallow end for the kids, plus many great places to lie out on the grass.
- Grab a drink. Barbarella and Swan Dive are a set of connected bars that offer a variety of environments. The lounge in Swan Dive is a more subdued setting where you can kick back and relax, and the dance floor in Barbarella provides the optimal place to show off your dance moves. If a little fresh air is all you need, then the conjoining outdoor patio is calling your name.
- Try the burgers. Counter Café by far has the best burgers in the city. There are two locations, but check out the original hole-in-the-wall spot downtown for a truly Austin experience. This little 30-seat restaurant packs a big punch in the flavor department and is the perfect place to stop for brunch any day of the week.
- Check out the art. While Austin is home to art museums such as UT’s Blanton Museum of Art, the true gem of the city is its street art. Start at the Hope Outdoor Gallery at Castle Hill, then drive around the city and you’ll start seeing art scattered everywhere.
- Connect with nature. Want to break a sweat? Start at the Barton Creek Greenbelt. With over 7 miles of hike and bike trails, this massive public space stretches from Zilker Park to a section called the Hill of Life.
- Relax and caffeinate. Whether you are up early or out late, Epoch Coffee it always open. This 24/7 coffee shop embodies the Austin culture with their taste in music, relaxing atmosphere, and vintage interior design. Be sure to get the Iced Mojo, Epoch’s signature drink.
- Explore. Take some time to discover the city on your own, and see what magical corner you end up in. If you get lost, just ask any Austinite for help!